7-day trip to Dalarna through the Swedish West Coast.
7 day trip to Dalarna to meet up with my good friend Gunilla. She lives in small village Furudal, in the municipality of Rättvik. Over the years I have been there a few times and every time it has been amazing. Dalarna is a regions in the central/central-south of Sweden, around the big Lake Siljan.
It is a 7 hours drive more or less and I would stop on my way to meet up with other friends along the West Coast in Bohuslän. This is how I would spend 5 days in Dalarna.
Things that I absolutely do not want to miss in Dalarna
- Dalarna is an important outdoor sports destination. If I go in the winter I would for sure bring my skies along. In the summer time I would go for my hiking boots.
- Dalarna is one of the most traditional Swedish regions. It has a rich local culture with all-year- around folk music festivals and celebrations.
- Towns and villages offer local museums, exhibitions and small town shopping. Look of the open air flee markets that emerge on farms, outside houses and on small market. Similarly you can find small historical wooden cottages, arts and crafts workshop. A true treat is to buy traditional Swedish bread from local bakeries or eat Swedish pastry in the many coffee shops.
- Enjoy a historical industrial heritage tour in an old-growth forest in Furudal.
- Fishing, hunting, life on the lakes and forestry is part of the everyday life.
Nature and outdoor in Dalarna, access to the wonders of nature
- One day I will for sure take my family there and spend time with a local fishing guide. Gunilla of course knew all the local fishermen that could take us to the deepest forest lakes.
- Hike and cycle in the vast forests or across the countryside.
- Visit the ring of Siljan a Geopark
- Above all, enjoy the simple pleasures of life and pick berries or mushrooms. In the summer season ( at the end of the month of July) you can pick strawberries (small wild and bigger cultivated) , wild raspberries, blueberries. The delicious cloudberry is not easy to access as it grows in the wetlands. In addition, the mushroom season starts in August.
Close to Norway
While in Dalarna you are not that far away from Norway. A different kind of trip into Norway is trip along the river Dalälven.